Win XP SP2: cvs over ssh problems

My XP machine at work was just upgraded to SP2.  Now I'm having problems
accessing a cvs repository on a linux box over ssh.  Everything was working
fine until this SP2 upgrade.

I can access the cvs host via ssh normally (although in a possibly related
matter, ssh sometimes seems to be a character behind when using vi remotely --
has anyone else noticed that behavior?  This was true before the SP2 upgrade).
Invoking cvs remotely without a password seems to work fine:

$ ssh user@cvshost cvs
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options-and-arguments]
  where cvs-options are -q, -n, etc.
    (specify --help-options for a list of options)
  where command is add, admin, etc.
    (specify --help-commands for a list of commands
     or --help-synonyms for a list of command synonyms)
  where command-options-and-arguments depend on the specific command
    (specify -H followed by a command name for command-specific help)
  Specify --help to receive this message

The Concurrent Versions System (CVS) is a tool for version control.
For CVS updates and additional information, see
    the CVS home page at http://www.cvshome.org/ or
    Pascal Molli's CVS site at http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html

However, if I try to issue a local cvs command (CVS_RSH=ssh, etc., nothing has
change client side or server side except the SP2 upgrade), then the command
hangs:

$ cvs status myFile.txt
cvs status: warning: unrecognized response `Warning: No xauth data; using fake
authentication dat' from cvs servering.
(never returns)

Examining the process server side reveals that the cvs process is hung on
reading stdin:

# strace -p 5316
read(0,  <unfinished ...>

Is anyone aware of any changes in SP2 that would cause this problem?  Are there
any workarounds?

cc