Re: Compilation problems

At 08:27 AM 9/13/2004, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have problems with compiling Java and C++ programs.
>I have installed Cygwin version 2.427 with all
>packages provided in Setup.exe. When I use Xemacs to
>write my programs, everything seems to be normal-
>correct formatting, there are the necessarry tools
>such as JDE for Java, for example, and so on. But when
>I try to compile a program, Xemacs blows up the
>message "Searching for program: No such file or
>directory, java". When I try in BASH by typing javac
>the message, of course, is: "No such command". The
>same happens when I type java -version. I have tried
>only with C++ and Java but I suspect that the
>situation will be the same with other languages. I am
>sending the result from cygcheck. Please, have a look
>and if possible, help me! Thanks!

Is 'java' in your path?  It doesn't look like it to me
but I'm not sure where you put it.  I'm also unclear as to
from where and how the messages you report are generated.
If you're still having trouble with this, providing specific
steps that show the problem would be helpful.

Keep in mind that 'java' is not a Cygwin program, so using
it with Cygwin paths directly will cause problems.  You may
want to create wrappers for your use that employ 'cygpath' to
do path conversion.  Cygwin's Java compiler is 'gcj', FWIW.
It understands all Cygwin's nice extras.

There has been lots of discussion in the past about using Sun's
Java with Cygwin and ways to integrate it more completely.  You
may want to check out some of that previous discussion too.

Holliston, MA 01746