Crash in setup 2.427

I'm having trouble using setup to install gcj (gcc-java) on my Windows 2000 SP4 box. There are several versions of it available in setup, and I don't seem to be able to get all the parts of the version I want installed. It's confusing to me, and I think it's confusing setup too, with the result of a 100% repeatible crash.

I _think_ what I want is gcc-java 3.4.1-1. When I do manage to get it installed, gcc --version shows:

gcj (GCC) 3.4.1 (cygming special)

What I want to do is build a Win32-native executable from Java source, without dependencies on the cygwin dll or X11. However, when I try to compile a "Hello World" program, I get this error:

$ gcj Hello.java
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.1/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc

What that seems to indicate is that I don't have all the parts of gcc installed, at least not all the right versions. Unfortunately, setup seems to also know about versions 3.3.3-3, 20040810-1 and 20040822-1 of various bits.

I think what I need to get -lgcc is version 3.4.1-1 of gcc-core. What I have currently is 3.3.3-3. Under the "New" column in setup right now, it says "Keep". So I click it until it says 3.4.1-1. So far so good.

Unfortunately, gcc-java is 3.4.1, but under "New" it says 3.3.3-3. If I let the installer proceed, it will remove gcj 3.4.1 (cygming special) and replace it with gcj 3.3.3 (cygwin special). I've experienced this several times. So I click in the New column for gcj-java to try to change it to keep:

Program Error

   setup.exe has generated erros and will be closed by Windows.
   You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

I couldn't find an error log. I used the Find Files Windoze tool to look for one. Do you know where it might be?

I've spent over an hour on this, and despite my best efforts I have not been able to succeed in installing all the parts I need of gcj/gcc 3.4.1-1. Either -lgcc is missing, or version 3.3.3-3 gets installed, or setup crashes. There are some other ways to crash it, all involving trying to get the right version of everything selected in the dialog.

If I can get this to work, I'm going to try to help get a Win32 native version of iRATE radio built. Version 0.4 is going to be ready soon. We had a lot of downloads of version 0.2, but not so many of 0.3. I think maybe the reason was that 0.2 was built for windows with gcj, but 0.3 was not, because we couldn't get a good native build.

http://irate.sourceforge.net/

Of course, Windows users could use irate with Sun's java VM, but my impression is that few of them are willing or able to install it.

If you can help me get gcj 3.4.1-1 installed, you'd be doing the irate developers (and new Windows users) a big favor.

Thanks for your help!

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com