Re: cygserver service won't start

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 11:36:42AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> This is weird.  I never observed that and I installed a lot of services
>> using cygrunsrv on a good number of machines.
>>
>> > I'm observing similar behavior, but it looks like our causes may be
>> > different.
>>
>> Igor, out with your debugging experiences!
>
>I believe they, along with a description of the fix, are summarized in
><http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2004-09/msg00007.html>, which
>seems to have been overlooked, as it never got any reply (the rest of the
>thread deteriorated into a discussion of the need for check_case:strict).
>I'd like to get some feedback on whether my analysis and the fix plan are
>correct, before I go through the machinery of getting the patch approved.

Given the number of problems we've had with strict case checking, I
think it is time to start thinking about ripping it out.

Neither Corinna nor I are huge fans of the functionality and while I
understand that some people like to use it, the amount of extra jumping
hoops required in the code multiplied by the number of times we hear
people complaining about problems seems to indicate that this is not a
robust feature.  Corinna essentially implemented this feature under
duress

It's difficult to see without the actual patch but your change seems to
add more logic to cygwin and adds decision points in parts of the code
which are called a lot.

Any time I hear about who great this option is, it seems as though
people raise the issue of finding multiple files with the same name in a
tar file.  If this really represents the majority of usefulness for this
feature then I think something like a tar-lint or adding an option to
tar itself might be a better plan than burdening the cygwin DLL with
this feature.

cgf