Re: cygserver service won't start

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep 11 13:06, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Alder wrote:
> > > On a perfect platform, perhaps, but like I said, I really had to add
> > > it because without it there a Windows dialog would pop up when I ran
> > > cygserver telling me that 'Cygwin1.dll' could not be found.  That
> > > was also true on my previous installation, and one of the reasons I
> > > thought it best to reinstall.
>
> This is weird.  I never observed that and I installed a lot of services
> using cygrunsrv on a good number of machines.
>
> > I'm observing similar behavior, but it looks like our causes may be
> > different.
>
> Igor, out with your debugging experiences!

I believe they, along with a description of the fix, are summarized in
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2004-09/msg00007.html>, which
seems to have been overlooked, as it never got any reply (the rest of the
thread deteriorated into a discussion of the need for check_case:strict).
I'd like to get some feedback on whether my analysis and the fix plan are
correct, before I go through the machinery of getting the patch approved.

> > If your cygcheck showed that you have check_case:strict in your CYGWIN
> > variable, I'd've guessed that this is another instance of the bug I
> > reported on the cygwin-developers list (where the PATH got truncated on
> > converting it back to Win32 format).  The fact that cygrunsrv *appends*
> > /bin to the PATH, whereas you *prepend* it, seems to argue strongly for
> > this.
> >
> > Just for the sake of completeness, though, could you please try adding a
> > service that basically invokes cmd.exe with '-c "echo %PATH%"' as
> > arguments, and see what the PATH is in the log after starting the service?
>
> Yes, I would be curios as well.

FWIW, I ended up using the following for sshd as a workaround:

cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a "-De" -1 /var/log/sshd.log -2 /var/log/sshd.log -e "CYGWIN=check_case:strict ntsec notitle binmode nosmbntsec notty" -e "PATH=/usr/bin:/bin" -t manual -o
                                                                                                                                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Incidentally, -1 and -2 didn't work for me with optional arguments (if I
simply said "-1 -2", stdout was redirected to a file called "-2").  I'm
sure it's unrelated, but thought I'd mention it.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw