RE: OT: RE: filesystem encoding

> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> >Welcome to the 21st century, where computers can't even
> unambiguously
> >represent written text.
> >

> Isn't this something unicode was meant to solve?

Yes, and if implemented properly, it mostly does.

> or does
> unicode still need a codepage to map to glyphs?

No, not a system-wide one anyway.  IIRC (and I'm no Unicode expert), the
verbage in the specs talk about "codepages" (or something like that) a lot,
but it's a few bits in each character that specify something similar to the
ASCII/ISO-style codepages, the end result being that each individual Unicode
character is unambiguously represented[1].

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

[1] Gross oversimplification alert.  Some of the Asian languages have
characters who's precise glyph depends on the previous character, and I
think that introduces some context sensitivity.  Ah well, we have to leave
*something* for the 31st century folks to fix. :-(.