Re: Cygwin Cron on Windows 2003 Server Issues

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 08:27:05PM -0500, Paul J. Ghosh wrote:

> Pierre - your suggestion - will it not lead to root privileges for
> svccron?

You mean setting its uid to 0? It won't change anything for Windows
ntsec. The advantage is that su won't prompt for passwd.
The reason for the su is that cron will run as system, which is what
crontab expects.

>  If yes, then that is not desirable.  However, I will try it
> out and let all know the outcome.  In a bash shell with a simple command
> it prompts for a password.
Except if the uid is 0 !

If it works you could also try to get rid of xcron and run something like
$ cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/bin/su -a "-c 'exec /usr/sbin/cron -D' system"
    -u svccron -w <passwd>
(my quoting may be off).
Also don't forget to delete /var/run/cron.pid when changing cron daemon uid.

Pierre