Re: Error Launching zsh

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Mike Dillinger wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Mike,

> I am running Win2K SP4.  I have a shortcut to run zsh on my desktop that
> simply runs "C:\cygwin\bin\zsh.exe".
>
> After powering on the PC or rebooting, I get the following error when I run
> the zsh shortcut:
>      20 [main] zsh 688 fork_copy: linked dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x442000..0x4427F0, done 0, windows pid 1532, Win32 error 87
> /etc/zprofile:6: fork failed: resource temporarily unavailable
>  306356 [main] zsh 688 fork_copy: linked dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x442000..0x4427F0, done 0, windows pid 1528, Win32 error 87
> /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/miked/.zshrc:41: fork failed: resource temporarily unavailable

Hmmm... I haven't seen this before.  I do use Win2kSP4 as a build &
testing machine, along with the shortcut regularly.  I suppose it might
be necessary to rebase your Cygwin environment, but that's just a WAG.

> The second error (zprofile:6) is the 'id -un' command.
>
> I looked up Win32 error 87, and here is the text for it:
> 87      The parameter is incorrect.     ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER
>
> Generally, if I close the errant zsh window and run the shortcut again,
> everything is fine.  bash works just fine - no problems.

Quite strange...  What happens if you, after a fresh reboot, open a
Command Prompt and type:
C:
cd c:\cygwin\bin
zsh -i -l

Do you get the same error or something else?

> Any suggestions why this is happening?  I've Googled for a while now and
> can't find anything.

Not a clue.  You'll need to provide details about your Cygwin environment
as well as anything extra you might have installed.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>