What Cygwin is

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep  8 11:31, Brian Ford wrote:
> > No, now we continually have to explain why you can't install said
> > x86 Linux binary/package and run it under our Linux emulator.  Heck, you
> > can't even *compile* said Linux firewall/router/proxy server etc. under
> > our Linux emulator.  Doesn't sound like much of an emulation to me.
>
> You don't think that's the fault of our project page, do you?  Did you
> read it lately?  For about three months, there's a pretty precise text
> with the headline "What Isn't Cygwin?"

Sorry, no; I had not read it within that time period.  I was going
on recollection; my bad.  It is much better now.

However, if Cygwin is "a Linux emulation layer providing substantial Linux
API functionality", then shouldn't Linux APIs and behavior now trump POSIX
and the Single Unix Specification?  Is that what we really want?

I'm just not comfortable with the removal of all all references to POSIX
and UNIX from that description.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer