Re: Is it free to use

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:32:17AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>>The part that causes it to become GPL'd is the linking to cygwin1.dll,
>>not the fact that Cygwin's gcc is used. If you use Cygwin's gcc in
>>mingw mode then your program does not need cygwin1.dll and the program
>>may be released under any license you choose, assuming there are no
>>other GPL libraries to which you link.
>
>That was my assumption. The parts I was a little skeptical about was: 1)
>whether using mingw was also GPL

In that case you should be checking with the mingw web page.

I also have to wonder how, as a long time reader of this list, you could
*possibly* have missed the tedious discussion on this point that crops up
on an almost weekly basis.

cgf

(Now someone will follow up with a clarifying thread saying something like:

"Good point but what cgf meant by "weekly basis" is that people talk
about this every seven days."
)