Re: rsync + xp sp2 failing (solved!)

Thanks all!

Turns out Aventail Connect was the problem (which was installed right around
same time as SP2).  And here I was blaming it on Bill Gates ... shame on me
:).  Anyway, uninstalling it solved the problem and I'm back in business.

Once again, thanks all for your time and ideas!

-- Joel

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:19:34 -0700, Brian Dessent wrote

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#XSLTsection127121120120>

> ---- quote ----
> Winsock self-healing
>
> Detailed description
>
> Winsock, Windows? network socket facility for applications, is
> extensible by a mechanism known as a Layered Service Provider (LSP).
> Winsock LSPs are available for a wide range of useful purposes,
> including internet parental controls, and web content filtering. In
> previous versions of Windows XP, removing a malformed (also known as
> ?buggy?) LSP could result in corruption of the Winsock catalog in the
> registry, potentially resulting in a loss of all network
> connectivity. Winsock now has the ability to self-heal after a user
> uninstalls such an LSP.
> ---- end quote ----
>
> And finally, although it's probably not relevant, the following passage
> from

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/xpsp2/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/securityinxpsp2.asp>
might help track down the problem: