Re: rsync + xp sp2 failing

On Fri, September 10, 2004 9:46 am, Corinna Vinschen said:
> On Sep 10 01:19, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>

>>> All WSADuplicateSocket calls fail with 10045, "operation is not
>>> supported for the type of object referenced", even thought the above
>>> created socket handles are referenced.  That's weird.
>>>
>>> I'm still running XP SP1 and I can't reproduce this.  I'm wondering
>>> if that's a side effect of the new firewall in XP2.  Did you try with
>>> switching off the firewall entirely?
>>
>> FWIW this error happens frequently enough for Apache under windows that
>>  it's in their FAQ:
>> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#WSADuplicateSocket>
>>

>> ---- quote ----
>> Apache for Windows does not start. Error log contains this message:
>> "[crit] (10045) The attempted operation is not supported for the type of
>>  object referenced: Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket ###".
>> What does this mean?
>>

> Interesting.
>

>> And finally, although it's probably not relevant, the following passage
>>  from
>> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/xpsp2/default.aspx?pull
>> =/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/securityinxpsp2.asp>
>> might help track down the problem:
>>
>> ---- quote ----
>> IPv4 Inbound Connections for Applications. An application that completes
>>  a listen operation on a TCP socket or successfully binds to a UDP
>> socket through Winsock is covered by this scenario. Examples of these
>> applications include audio and video in MSN or Windows Messenger, or
>> hosting a multiplayer game. For this scenario, ICF can automatically
>> open and close ports as needed by the application. When an application
>> that needs to listen on a port or ports is being installed by an
>> administrator, it will need to ask the user if he/she wants to allow
>> the application to open ports in the firewall. If the user consents to
>> this, then the application should use the INetFwV4AuthorizedApplication
>> API to
>> add itself to the AuthorizedApplications collection as enabled. If the
>> user does not consent, then the application should use the
>> INetFwV4AuthorizedApplication API to add itself to the
>> AuthorizedApplications collection as disabled.
>> ---- end quote ----
>>

> I *pray* it's not related.
>

> Corinna

Is it possible this is due to the changes in tcpip.sys and/or the tcp
stack? I myself am using a hacked one without these changes, so I could
test things to see if it is, if people can give me a specific set of
things to do ;-)
Unfortunately, half of the stuff in this thread went clean over my head,
so I could easily be barking up the wrong tree....

Chris

--
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then
shalt thou count to three, no more - no less. Three shall be the number