Re: Is it free to use

Brian Dessent wrote:

The part that causes it to become GPL'd is the linking to cygwin1.dll, not the fact that Cygwin's gcc is used. If you use Cygwin's gcc in mingw mode then your program does not need cygwin1.dll and the program may be released under any license you choose, assuming there are no other GPL libraries to which you link.

That was my assumption. The parts I was a little skeptical about was: 1) whether using mingw was also GPL and 2) whether I created an app that linked in another library that Cygwin provides.

--
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be to understand.