Re: Is it free to use

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:35:50AM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> >Alain_SK_Yip@btm.com.hk wrote:
> >> We are using Linux and UNIX environment to develop our own applications.
> >> By installing the Cygwin/X X Server, Xlib and Xclients etc., our developers
> >> can
> >> 1. use our own Windows base PC to emulate a UNIX-like environment to do the
> >> development;
> >> 2. use the X server to connect to X windows of Linux and AIX;
> >> 3. use the Secure Shell (ssh) to connect to AIX servers;
> >> 4. use powerful scripts of Unix to automate Windows workstation.
> >>
> >> We shall use the cygwin in around thirty Window based PC.
> >>
> >> Would like to clarify that will be free of charge.
> >
> >Have your company's lawyers read the GNU Public License and answer that
> >for you.  It's quite well explained exactly what the GPL allows and
> >doesn't allow on <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html> and
> ><http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html>.  This is not a legal advice
> >mailing list, and answering legal questions is not the purpose of this
> >list.
>
> Actually, the licensing information is here:
>
> http://cygwin.com/license.html
>
> That is the place to start.

I really hate to step into any messy legal conversation, but...

All of the above is excellent advise.

> The bottom line is that if you develop using cygwin's gcc your
> applications are GPLed when you release them.  This means that if you
> are developing software for eventual release, you must also make the
> source code available when you make binaries available.

I think you might have misunderstood what the OP described, and your
wording above may be misleading.

>From the limited description given, it sounds as if 1 was meant to be a
Linux emuation environment for in-house development.  If the only product
ever released is a Linux one, not a Cygwin/Windows one, there is no
problem.

If 2, 3, and 4 are only done in-house and not packaged as part of a
product, there is no problem.  Even if they are packaged as part of a
product, as long as the exact sources used to build the binaries are
provided (or a written offer for such valid for three years yada, yada,
yada...), there is still no problem.

> If you want other arranagements then you do have to pay for that.
>
> But, the lawyer advice is still sound.  You really should check this out
> thoroughly if you are going to be releasing software eventually.

Agreed!

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer