change in rsync behaviour -- textmode problem?

Every month or so I rsync a from a large HTML-structured mail archive
(UN*X resident) to my PC.  Up until a few months ago, this worked as
expected, with only new files getting copied.  More recently (no,
sorry, I can't be more precise), I started getting everything every
time.

The target location on my PC is under a textmode mount (this hasn't
changed).

If I change and rsync to a location on a binmode mount, it only
fetches once (correctly).

Is this a bug or a feature, and if the former is it already known?

ht

Cygcheck extract:

cygwin          1.5.10-3
rsync           2.6.2-2

Sorry if this is an FAQ, Google didn't find anything for the terms I
tried. . .
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk