Re: Problem executing a .bat script in a directory with spaces using bash

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Mark Bohlman wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Mark Bohlman wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Christopher Cobb wrote:

I get different results than you do. It seems to work as expected:

chcobb@CHCOBB-054009 /c/Documents and Settings 09:45:46
511$ cat test.bat
echo %1

chcobb@CHCOBB-054009 /c/Documents and Settings 09:45:48
511$ ./test.bat

C:\Documents and Settings>echo
ECHO is on.

I believe you're missing the point. Try

../test.bat "hello world"

and you'll get the error.

I've come across this when writing a pure Windows loader for
another program.  The above is actually an idiosyncrasy of the way
spawn() works in Cygwin (and, incidentally, in Windows' own
MSVCRT) -- it calls CreateProcess, which expects all arguments
combined into one command string (which, in turn, is later parsed
for separate arguments - yes, retarded, I know).  The fact is
that, if any argument contains spaces, it has to be quoted before
CreateProcess() is invoked.  Cygwin apparently doesn't do this
properly to the first argument, so the above breaks. See
spawn_guts() in winsup/cygwin/spawn.cc (warning: a 590!-line
function). <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.
	Igor

You get the same "odd evaluation behavior" when doing echo "Hello World" | ./test.bat (in any directory). -- Mark

Actually, I don't. Did you, by chance, mean "echo ...|xargs ./test.bat"? Even so, you should probably be a bit more specific about the "odd evaluation behavior" that you're observing. Igor

Hmmm. I'm seeing the same results as you show above with a quoted "Hello World" parameter to the ./test.bat.

Then in doing the echo, without the xargs, results in the same
"non-evaluation" (what i consider to be 'odd') for parameter %1 within the
test.bat file.
-- Mark

Well, piping the output of echo to test.bat's stdin is *not* the same as
passing the string as a parameter.  In the former case, test.bat is called
with no arguments, so %1 evaluates to nothing.  IOW, the behavior you're
seeing is expected.
	Igor

Of course you are right on the stdin side. My mistake.
And I think it's time i move back to Unix systems exclusively as the behavior is "as expected" (used loosely) under cmd.exe.
-- Mark