windows dlls?

I use an application that allows the calling of external, user
created DLLs. I have created these DLLs previously using Microsoft's
VC++. Can I instead create the DLLs using gcc/cygwin? I'm a
unixhead from way back and don't like the Microsoft stuff. I
much prefer to stick with what I'm comfortable with.

If I can create usable DLLs, what things must I be aware of?

Mike