Re: How to detect a broken Cygwin mirror?

At 10:26 PM 9/2/2004, you wrote:
>On  2 Sep, Larry Hall wrote:
>>  At 09:41 PM 9/2/2004, you wrote:
>>  >They also say it's common for it to be very, very hard to remove
>>  >C:\cygwin - unable to remove it, unable to take ownership, on occasion
>>  >having to boot into safe mode to get rid of it (on the way to trying a
>>  >fresh Cygwin install, you see).
>>

>>  Perhaps you're running one of Cygwin's service apps (sshd, crond, etc?)
>>  and you didn't stop it before doing the remove?
>
>That's true, I was.  (There is no automated Uninstall method, is there?)

Nope.  Although you could certainly create one based on known services
and/or predetermined service names.

>So it wasn't the checkdisk, it was the reboot, eh?

No, I think that was overkill. ;-)  Still, you probably want to go back
and clean out the old services, unless you've since reinstalled the same
services in the same way (i.e. name).

>>  Otherwise, this sounds like a simple permissions issue.  If you're getting
>>  files installed that indicate no permissions, you might want to try setting
>>  'nontsec' in your CYGWIN environment variable prior to the install.
>
>The extra security is good to have though, so we're trying to make it
>all work with ntsec turned on ...

Yeah, if it's not obviously causing you problems, I'd recommend leaving
it as is too.  It's a bit of a corner case, though a disastrous one for
those who run across it.  Now that we're aware of the cause, changes can
be (and have been) made to the problem postinstall scripts as they're
identified so the need to make allowances on the user side should be
diminishing.  If you were having this problem where you are, I think you'd
know it by now.

>Thanks Larry,

You're welcome.  Sometimes it's nice to be useful. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746