Re: Cygwin ssh session privileges differ from console privileges?

On Sep  2 15:09, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> I am having a problem with the privileges on a Cygwin ssh session. It
> seems as though the Cygwin ssh session does not have all the
> privileges of a console session, logged in as the same user. This is
> happening on cygwin v1.5.10-3 under Win2K SP4. The openssh version is
> v3.9p1-1.
> [...]
> I would expect that they would be the same, but understand that there
> might be quirks associated with sshd launching a login session as the
> authenticated user. Is there a plausible explanation as to why there
> is a difference?

It depends on how you log in through ssh.

If you're using password authentication, the same authentication mechanism
is used as if you're logging in locally via the GUI.  Not counting extra
initializations which are only run after GUI logon, password authentication
should grant you about the same rights.

Public Key authentication OTOH is *bypassing* the Windows authentication
mechanism, resulting in a very different access token attached to your
session.  For one, there is no password attached and no network credentials,
so you don't have the same automagical access to network shares.  Another
problem is that you didn't even start a logon session from WinNT's point of
view, which has a couple of interesting side effect.

The bottom line is, if you need all the user's access rights use password
authentication.  If that doesn't help, you're out of luck.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.