Re: LAPACK - testing problems

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> [snip]

> > > What is the return code of that command?  Try "echo $?" after running it.

> > The return code is 128
>
> Well, then, "make" behaves as expected -- if the command returns a
> non-zero return code, it's an error as far as "make" is concerned.  Is
> returning 128 the expected behavior for "xlintims"?  If so, the Makefile
> is buggy -- it should ignore the return code.  If not, then you have to
> debug "xlintims" -- figure out *why* it returns 128.
>
> FWIW, here's something of interest (from
> <http://scv.bu.edu/SCV/FAQ/batchcode.txt>, heavily snipped):
>
> 	When a program finishes executing it returns an exit code to the
> 	system. The batch system reports this exit code. There are three
> 	general ways for the exit code of a program to be set.
>
> 	1) The program can explicitly call exit() (or return from main(),
> 	   which eventually calls exit()). In this case the exit code is
> 	   the argument to exit() and its meaning depends on the program.
> 	   The call to exit() may actually occur in a library routine that
> 	   your program uses. The only known example of this is the FORTRAN
> 	   io library. The FORTRAN io routines set an exit code in the range
> 	   100 - 185 when an error occurs. The specific meaning of these codes
> 	   can be found in the appendix to the Fortran 77 Programmer's Guide
> 	   (available online as an insight book).
> 	2) The program executes the last instruction in main(), (not
> 	   calling exit() or return).  In this case the system sets the
> 	   exit code to 0.
> 	3) The program can terminate due to the receipt of a signal. In
> 	   this case the system sets the exit code to 128 + <signal number>.
> 	   [snip]
>
> Here case 1 probably applies, since there's no signal 0.  However,
> <http://www.ac3.edu.au/SGI_Developer/books/F77_PG/sgi_html/apa.html#id63629>,
> which is one place that lists the error codes, doesn't have an entry for
> 128.  You're going to have to debug this yourself...

Ah, here's something:
<http://google.com/search?q=g77+run-time+error+messages+128> =>

	128: "'new' file exists"

Isn't Google wonderful?  Also available in "info g77" -> "Debugging and
Interfacing" -> "Run-time Library Errors" on your own machine.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw