Re: c:/ seems to be accessed in binary even if cygwin is configured as textmode by default

Cygwin User's Guide http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html says

"The Cygwin system gives us some flexibility in deciding how files are to be opened when the mode is not specified explicitly. The rules are evolving, this section gives the design goals.

a) If the file appears to reside on a file system that is mounted (i.e. if its pathname starts with a directory displayed by mount), then the default is specified by the mount flag. If the file is a symbolic link, the mode of the target file system applies.

b) If the file appears to reside on a file system that is not mounted (as can happen when the path contains a drive letter), the default is text.

.... "

In understand that a windows path ([...] the path contains a drive letter ) should be seen as text file.
This not what I experience.

arnaud

At 09:48 01/09/2004, Arnaud Mouiche wrote:
At 19:55 31/08/2004, Larry Hall wrote:
At 01:38 PM 8/31/2004, you wrote:
>Hi.
>
>just make a fresh update (from a long time). I mount my system in textmode by default.
>yet,
>
>c:/file seems to be accessed in binary mode
>/cygdrive/c/file is accessed in text mode
>
>Is it the new default behaviour ? Is there a configuration that I missed ?
>
>thanks
>
>Arnaud

>here a simple proof
>
>$ cygcheck -c | grep cygwin
>cygwin 1.5.10-3 OK
>cygwin-doc 1.3-7 OK
>$ mount
>C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
>C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
>C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
>c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
>d: on /cygdrive/d type user (textmode,noumount)
>w: on /cygdrive/w type user (textmode,noumount)

If you're using a Windows path, you bypass mounts.  Mounts map POSIX paths
to Windows, not the reverse.

I agree with you, but it worked with old version of cygwin.
Get the possibility to tune binmode/textmode of Window path for cygwin application looks like important to me.

The greet things with cygwin is to mix windows and unix world. I don't know the history of cygwin, but I may suppose that the option "mount -t" was here to get this compatibility between unix and windows.
Most of the time I use the cygwin make, sed, grep, diff, cvs in combination with (only) windows development tools ( especially armcc ). I use "cygpath -m" to get compatible path for both environment. I can't use it now.

issue #1:
I start to look at this problem when tkcvs was not able any more to perform a diff between 2 version. tkdiff, copy the cvs HEAD release of a version in temporary directory, then call the cygwin 'diff' to perform the comparaison. diff compare the local file (text mode) with the one in temp directory (c:/tmp/xxxx, so in binmode)

issue #2:
even whith cygwin "tclsh"  version,
   glob /*
returns
   C:/cygwin/bin C:/cygwin/cygwin.bat C:/cygwin/cygwin.ico ....

issue #3:
Another example: the 2 following lines don't gives the same result
    cd c:/ && grep XXXX file
    grep XXXX c:/file

arnaud