Re: 1.5.5.1 unlink() unable to remove an open file.

At 01:06 AM 8/6/2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Aug  6 13:59, Ghanshyam wrote:

> hi all,
>
>       I am having a problem with unlink() system call. If the file is
> currently open by some other process then unlink() is unable to delete
> that file ( shown in 'ls' to that directory) but returns successfull! But
> after all filedescriptors open to that file are closed, the file is
> removed.
> But in linux, the 'file' is removed immediately after unlink()
> call, irrespective of how many other open filedescriptors are there for
> the 'file'.
> Is there any specific reason for such a behaviour by cygwin???

Welcome in the wonderful world of Windows.

Corinna

I've noted that the Microsoft library _unlink() returns a no permission status when attempting to remove an open file. Difficulty with unlink(), not to mention intermittent visibility to cygwin bash of XP environment variables used to designate paths, has been frustrating.

Tim Prince