Re: chown -R expanding / to //bin etc.

On Jul 21 17:39, luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
> I've noticed that if I do (*) a
>
>         chown -R administrator.SYSTEM /
>
> then chown goes out onto the network and tries to access shares called
> //bin, //var, //usr etc., and can block for long periods, too.
>
> Now, I do understand that really I should be doing (**)
>
>         chown -R administrator.SYSTEM `cygpath -w / | sed 's|\\|/|g'`
>
> to restrict the chown to only affect Cygwin files anyway, but I'm still
> interested in how the spurious //bin etc. names are generated.  (I.e.
> whether that's actually a bug?)

It's a bug in the current chown implementation in that it doesn't
know that leading double slashes has a special meaning on some operating
systems.  I don't know if that's fixed in newer versions of chown.
Since chown is part of coreutils today, it would be nice if we could
find a volunteer to maintain coreutils.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.