Re: UNC Pathname Handling within Applications

Hi,

I sent the sollowing message to Larry via private mail:

- - - Schnipp - - -
Hi Larry,

please don't use tofu mails. http://www.vranx.de/mail/tofu.html

* Larry Hall wrote (2004-07-16 17:41):
>The best way to insure that you get only one copy of any response from the
>list is to set your reply-to to point to the list.

I think the Reply-To header is quite unfit for that.

For once, it it mungled often enough that I had to check with every
list whether I could use it or not.

Second, the Reply-To header has a different purpose. If would eg. post
to the list from a mobile phone, I would want a way to ensure that I
don't get the entire list on this mobile, accumulating huge costs.
Reply-To ist that way.

Third, Reply-To is a much stronger way to redirect replies. If this
mail would have been sent to the list, I might set the Reply-To header
to indicate that further discussion should be done off-list.

Instead I use the Mail-Followup-To header as described here:
http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

>Depending on the software you use, you may find that you can easily
>filter out duplicates too.

That wouldn't be entirely satisfactory either for two reasons:
- The list mail would usually arrive second and be destroyed. That
leaves not-list messages in my list folder.
- I might be lead to think that it *is* a personal reply (like this
one) and answer personally where a list answer might be more
approppriate.

>I don't second-guess the implied intent of posters to whom I respond
>by editing the recipient list but my email client automatically
>honors when "reply-to" is set.  Most do.  I'd recommend setting it
>when you correspond with this list or any that you subscribe to.

Actually, I wonder what possible reasons could exist to send every
mail twice, and even by default. I haven't checked, but I guess you
cannot subscribe this list or any other write-only, so in what
possible situation would the second mail enhance communication?

So my recommendation to you, O wise one, is to just skip the second
mail, reply to the list *or* in personal way as preferred for a
particular mail and be done with it.

Thorsten
--
As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours,

In an ironic twist I got this reply from the list manager:
- - - Schnipp - - -
cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.

This is a generic help message. The message I received wasn't sent to
any of my command addresses.

--- Administrative commands for the cygwin list ---

DO NOT SEND THEM TO THE LIST ADDRESS! If you do, I will not
see them and other subscribers will be annoyed. Instead, send

   <cygwin-subscribe@cygwin.com>

   <cygwin-info@cygwin.com>
   <cygwin-faq@cygwin.com>

   <cygwin-digest-subscribe@cygwin.com>