Start up Help

Hello:
My name is Brandon Butler, and I just downloaded and installed cygwin on
Windows ME for the first time.  However, I can't even make it read the simple
program "Hello.c" (a sample program just to test it out).  On a friend's
computer, (assuming you're already in the right directory) I would type:

gcc hello.c

On my version, "gcc" was an unknown command, so I did:

bash hello.c

The error read: "syntax error at unexpected token <"
This very program worked on another computer.  How do I get this to work?
Everywhere I find this program online it is the same.  Also, the prompt is
just a dollar sign, and as I saw it before, there was text above each prompt
(all examples of cygwin I see online have this too).

Thanks for your time,
Blissfully "C" Ignorant,
Brandon Butler