Re: Cygwin Memory Allocation and heap_chunk_in_mb

At 06:54 AM 6/30/2004, Dan Hatton wrote:

I'm using CYGWIN_NT-5.1, under XP Pro.

I've set my heap_chunk_in_mb registry key to a very large value (10240
decimal,) because I'm doing some RAM-hungry numerical calculations.

I have enough space to do this (Control Panel->System reports 12 GB of
virtual memory allocated.)

However, the max_memory program at
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00234.html> still reports
only 1.5 GB available.  Sure enough, my program dies with an "out of
memory" error at 1.25 GB (the 0.25 GB discrepancy is about right for
the amount of RAM other processes are using.)

Anyone got any ideas what's happening, please?

cygwin doesn't emulate a 64-bit OS. Did you try setting up XP with /3GB to see whether that would give another 1 GB, or check the archives for any reports on such an attempt?

Tim Prince