Re: Cygwin DVD Distribution

At 09:28 AM 6/27/2004, you wrote:
>I thought this might be a good idea.  Would be nice for people on a
>slow connection or need to install on alot of non-networked systems
>without any way to transfer a large quantity of files.  Anyways I have
>been considering the idea.  I spent the last month downloading the
>entire cygwin distribution tree via ftp using wget then last night got
>the mailing list archive using rsync in cygwin.  All this on a modem.
>I burned it and cleaned my system of the cygwin install.  Tested the
>install from DVD and it appears to work fine.  DVD's will be
>distributed in compliance with the GNU GPL license agreement where end
>users have all the rights they want to make additional copies, use it
>on as many systems as they want, and they get both the binary and
>source code to everything on the disc.  The local copy will be updated
>weekly and I know that updates are necessary.  Total cost will be $4
>for the first.  $1 for each additional.  Maximum 5 copies per order.
>
>Example:
>Order 1 and pay $4
>Order 5 and pay $8
>
>Breakdown:
>DVD media cost: $1 (between the media, case, and label)
>Shipping cost: $1.50 anywhere in the continental US.
>Packaging (1 jiffy envelope): $1.40
>
>Shipping will be via First Class mail.  Will take up to 3 days to arrive.
>
>Accepted payment methods at this time are Check or Money Order.  I do
>not accept Paypal at all.  I had a very bad experience and don't trust
>them at all for online transactions anymore.
>
>Oh yea.  It has an entire copy of the online cygwin tree so it is
>kinda a valid 'mirror' although can be out of date quickly.  I was
>noting updates to packages every other day on average.
>
>If anyone has any objections tell me.  If this is not the appropriate
>place to post this then let me know who I should email.  Distributions
>will not begin until I know it will be ok with everyone.

Well, if you're going to wait to hear from everyone, I think your DVD
will be out of date by then. ;-)

You are free to distribute the software under the GPL (and other packages
under their like licenses).  Nobody here can stop you from doing so or
would likely object if you comply with the license.  I would, however,
strongly suggest that you offer your own support forum for this effort.
While I would hope that folks that purchase your DVD wouldn't have troubles
with it, I don't think the Cygwin list would be the appropriate place for
those who do buy the DVD to report problems they have with it or to solicit
help with the process of installing from it.

Holliston, MA 01746