Re: Rebaseall fails with error 6 ...

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:39:20PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> >>[snip]
> >>(But I don't regret reinstalling -- for some reason it's much faster
> >>now, even though I'm using the same versions of all the DLLs)
> >
> >FWIW, ne simple explanation of the above is that file fragmentation was
> >most likely greatly reduced with a complete reinstall as opposed to
> >periodic updates.  This should probably be added to the "Why is Cygwin
> >suddently so slow" entry in the FAQ...
>
> It won't be added without some actual testing of this theory.

Fair enough.

> I don't see why Cygwin should be more greatly affected by fragmentation
> than any other program.

I didn't imply that it was.  However, reinstalling Cygwin would probably
defragment the Cygwin DLLs and not much else. :-)

> Running a defrag occasionally on Windows is a good idea in general,
> though.  But, that's not a cygwin issue.

True.  However, interactions of Cygwin with other programs are related to
Cygwin, and the Cygwin setup procedure is such that it is more likely to
produce many fragmented files over time (since Cygwin is updated more
often than most other commonly used programs).  FWIW, it may well be more
than just defragmentation -- I suspect disk locality also played a role.
But, as you said, until someone tests it, it's just a theory.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu