Re: Ctrl-Z fails to suspend Windows programs

"Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org> writes:

 > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, John Cooper wrote:
 >
 > >  > The point is that it's not about cygwin-vs-windoze apps.  It's about
 > >  > apps-that-use-console-stdin-and-stdout vs. apps-that-display-a-gui; those
 > >  > that show a gui could usefully be detached, but those that read their input
 > >  > from stdin will break if the shell detaches them.
 >
 > Hi John,
 >   I'm the maintainer for zsh on Cygwin.
 >
 > > Yes, you're right, the old "native" zsh option was specifically to do with GUI
 > > apps rather than "Windows" apps per se - here's the doc to for enabling the
 > > option (it was off by default):
 > >
 > >   winntwaitforguiapps: When set, makes the shell wait for win32 GUI apps to
 > >   terminate instead of spawning them asynchronously.
 > >
 > >  > I don't think there's a reliable enough mechanism by which a shell could
 > >  > detect one case from the other.
 > >
 > > Below is the code it used to determine if a program is a GUI program or not. I
 > > don't know how well it works under all conditions; however it did work fine for
 > > me.
 > >
 > > Even if not perfectly reliable, could something like this be added but disabled
 > > by default?  I for one would find it useful.
 >
 > I guess I don't really have much of a problem with adding such a feature,
 > provided it's something that many users really want.  I can see some
 > merit to it, but is it really that much work to type '&' after the
 > command to run it in the background?

No, it's not much work to type '&' when running GUI apps; it's just that I
don't always remember and am not used to having to consider it!  At the moment,
assuming I don't want to quit the GUI app, I'm stuck with a shell window that
is essentially useless (as ^Z cannot be used to suspend the GUI app).  In
general I would have thought (Windows, at least) GUI apps are more usefully
automatically run in the background.  The only benefit to keeping them in the
foreground is that they can be terminated with ^C, but this can equally be done
with Alt-F4.  I would find such an option useful, but perhaps that is in part
due to the fact I'm used to this behavior from AmolD's old native zsh port.

Still, I'd say it's best to keep such an option off by default, to avoid
introducing any confusion.

 > Anyway, can you point me to where you got this code example?  I want to
 > see where it was originally called in zsh code and possibly adapt it to
 > the current code base.  It'll take a bit of re-writing (which I'm willing
 > to do) because this code makes liberal usage of win32 calls and
 > defines/structs, which generally aren't available/desirable to use in the
 > Cygwin runtime.  If it works well enough, though, I might submit it for
 > inclusion in the zsh base.

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/amol/zsh/zshsrc.tar.gz

    --- John