Re: Problem with sys.executable solved

At 12:36 PM 6/13/2004, you wrote:
>I wrote a bit ago about sys.executable returning the current working
>directory. I am happy to report that the problem is solved, but I am
>not sure what caused the problem in the first place.
>
>The permissions on python2.3 were mode 000. This allowed python to
>run, but didn't allow it to do other things like resolve its own
>name. chmod 755 /usr/bin/python2.3.exe fixed the sys.executable problem.
>
>Now I have no idea what is broken with the permissions and why the
>file is being created with mode 000. I seem to remember a discussion
>of permissions with setup on NTFS filesystems. I thought it was
>fixed, but maybe not. Using setup, I removed the python 2.3.4-1
>install and reinstalled it. The mode 000 file came back 8-(.
>I have attached the cygcheck.out in case its of any use.

You should check the permissions as reported by 'getfacl'.  There's a
known 'issue' if you have permissions set up under NT to be inherited
from the parent.  If those permissions aren't entirely "right", they
can cause problems.  This may be your problem.  The easiest way to fix
this is to just change all the permissions under '/' to be the way you
want them.  Alternatively, you could remove Cygwin, recreate the directory,
set the proper permissions, then install to that directory.

Holliston, MA 01746