New install of 1.5.10 replacing 1.5.6: many things not working

Hi folks:

I have multiple machines with 1.5.6 installed. I wanted to upgrade to 1.5.10 (bug fixes, speed, etc). Stuff worked (for the most part) in 1.5.6. I was/am looking to using it for application development on windows.

With 1.5.10 install, I get error messages about find.exe being given bad arguments. Many of the post-install scripts die with problems with grep (more in a moment). When I open the cygbash shell, it puts me into /usr/bin by default, and the moment I cd out of there, I lose any ability to run basic commands such as ls. Anything that tries to use grep is rewarded with an error message about /bin/grep not existing. Quick ls'ing around (find does not work... sigh) does not locate a grep.

Ok, I may be thick, but I think that there might be a problem here.

The machines with problems:

1) Windows XP Home laptop. SP1 installed. 512 MB ram

2) Windows 2000 desktop. SP_something_or_other installed. 768 MB ram

Both had similar working copies of 1.5.6 installed. Starting up the cygbash shell resulted in being in the /home/landman directory (where I thought I should be). Everything properly pathed out in the older version.

Any thoughts? I don't have to re-install the OS... (I hope :( ).

Thanks.

Joe