Re: Problem with home installation

* John Williams (2004-05-23 03:39 +0100)
> I have been using cygwin at work for almost
> a year now and haven't had a single problem
> with it.  Now, I want to work from home on
> occasion, so I am trying to duplicate my work
> environment at home.  Both machines have
> Win XP.
>
> The installation at home seemed to go just
> fine, but when I open a cygwin shell, I get
> a "bash-2.05b$" prompt and the only commands
> that work are "cd" and "pwd".

These are shell builtins.

>  "ls" doesn't even work.

I could ask what you mean by "doesn't even work", but honestly, I
don't care if you don't care.

> Has anyone seen something crazy like this?

I cannot see anything crazy about that.

> Any thoughts on what I could try to debug
> this problem?

Yes, sure, the usual procedure. But wait, you haven't given any
details nor error message, so there is no usual procedure, sorry.

Just a short hint: what does it take for a shell to execute an
external commmand? The application has to be where the shell searches
it or the shell has to search the application where the application
is. If you don't want the shell to search for the application you have
to execute it by its "full name".

By the way: this isn't Cygwin or bash specific; it's the same in long
dead DOS.

Thorsten