Re: Several problems with ssh and X

On Tue, 11 May 2004, kkliang wrote:

> Dear Cygwinners,
>
> I have setup the Cygwin environment as my X-server for working on
> several workstations and PC clusters.  It is fine in most aspects,
> considering that it is free.
>
> I have written the following scripts in my .bash_profile to control the
> initiation of XWin.  This is trivial for experts, but perhaps it can
> help some beginners.
>
> if [ ps -a | grep /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin | egrep -v grep >/dev/Null ]; then
>   echo "X Windows server already started"
> else
>   xwin :0 -multiwindow -nokeyhook -swcursor&
> fi
> export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
> xhost +
>
> Of course you should modify the options to meet your own need.
>
> Now I wish to ask if you have experiences on similar problems of mine.
> The first thing is that, when I make ssh connections to other machines
> from the bash shell (instead of say xterm), the Ctrl-C key behaves
> badly.  If I need to press Ctrl-C in some remote program, it simply
> kills the whole ssh session. In xterm, however, no shuch problem exists.
> Is there a way to solve this problem?

The above is the only part of your message that belongs on the main Cygwin
list (see <http://cygwin.com/lists.html#available-lists>).  To be able to
use Ctrl-C (and Ctrl-Space, and a couple of other commands) correctly in a
cmd window, add "tty" to $CYGWIN before launching the shell (see
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>).

The rest of this message belongs on the cygwin-xfree list.  I'm
redirecting this reply there -- please post X-related follow-ups to that
list only.

> I would have use xterm instead, but I do not know how to change the font
> size yet, and the characters in xterms are kind of too small on my
> screen.

Try the "-fn" option, e.g., "xterm -fn 10x20".

> Second, there are some problem with combined keys in some applications.
> I mean, for example, pressing Alt-F to get the File menu in most
> applications. In some programs this works fine, but for nedit, the
> editor I love the best, the Alt-... keys simply do not work.  I used
> XWin32 before (but it is not free) and with some settings the left-Alt
> key works fine for all programs.  I cannot find suggestions on how to
> setup Cygwin/X to ensure correct behavior of Alt keys, although actually
> it works for some programs like gftp.  Maybe you can help me on this.

A WAG: you mentioned ssh in the subject, but it's never come up.  Do you
have nedit problems when connecting via ssh?  Did you read the FAQ:
<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding>?
If that's not it, perhaps someone else can answer.

> The third, and maybe not so important problem, is the incompatibility
> with dual monitor.  I have two monitors, and the main monitor is on the
> right-hand side.  The second monitor is smaller than the main monitor.
> When I start some x programs, they come up in the main monitor.  A
> portion of the window of the program will be empty (on the right-hand
> side).  If I move them to the second monitor, they become normal.  I
> think that's because Cygwin/X only know the size of the main monitor,
> but it calculates the screen size from the left-most of both monitors.
> In my case, it happens to be the left-most end of the seond monitor.
> Therefore, the part of the window that is beyond certain distance from
> the left-most end of the left monitor are not redrawn, resulting in a
> blank part in the window.  I think this can only be solved in later
> versions.

Try giving the "-multiplemonitors" option to XWin.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu