Re: The Choices Are Exim, Exim and, er, Exim...

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 25 Apr 2004 at 18:50, A. Alper Atici spoke, thus:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:17:49 +0100, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
> >
> > > I can't
> > >offer a hand in porting anything (not to my knowledge, anyway,
> > >particularly as Cyg isn't installed yet :-) ),
> >
> > Is this because chooser box in setup program is not AT-aware?
> > AFAIK, setup program selects a base set of packages by default, so you
> > should not end up with nothing when you just press Next at that stage.
>
> Thanks for suggesting - no, I don't; it does give you a base system, but
> that does not seem to include a GNU development toolchain of any kind.
> (Well, "gcc" isn't found.)  I need this to try my builds on - QuakeForge
> builds on Windows too but only if you use Cygwin, and I'll need to do this
> shortly anyway for my other project (http://www.agrip.org.uk/).  I don't
> know of a way to install/uninstall packages from like the command line - I
> think it's all done in setup.exe.  What wouldn't I give for a console one
> at this stage? ... :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sabahattin

Sabahattin,

Accessibility friendliness of setup has been discussed on both this list
and cygwin-apps before -- just Google for "setup blind site:cygwin.com",
for example.  As explained in those messages, it's not a malicious
oversight, but rather the lack of volunteer time to address these
concerns.  Not to sound arrogant, but anyone with interest and development
experience is free to submit patches to setup's CVS source (see
<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html> for details on
accessing it).

As for installing more than just the base packages without the graphical
selection screen, there are a few options available now:

- if you don't mind a *HUGE* download, simply give a "-a" command-line
  option to setup

- create a local mirror with just a hand-edited setup.ini file, in which
  all the needed packages are in the "Base" category, and add it to the
  mirror list (select another mirror as well, as your mirror probably
  won't have the packages; this also requires apache or ftp running)

- create a local mirror with one dummy package in "Base" that *depends* on
  all the needed packages, and, as above, add it to the mirror list

These are just a few that come to mind right away -- I'm sure there are
others.  Once you have the development toolchain set up, please consider
contributing to the setup code, as you seem to have the experience and the
motivation.

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--