Re: Tutorial on ACL's?

At 11:49 AM 4/23/2004, you wrote:
>Perhaps, but the tutorial will probably not contain the information I need.
>The reason being is if I do commands like getfacl /cygdrive/e using a cygwin
>distribution from 1 year ago I get different results than I do getfacl
>/cygdrive/e on a current distribution.  Also, chown and chmod and mkdir seem
>to have different effects today than they did a year ago on the ACL
>settings.  This leads me to conclude the interpretation of ACL's as used by
>cygwin is different than what I would get in a vanilla Windows tutorial.  A
>Windows tutorial would not list things like how cygwin commands are going to
>interpret or map those settings.
>
>                                            Bill

OK, so you're really looking for information on how ACLs are created and
managed by Cygwin.  There's no tutorial AFAIK.  And yes, things have changed
over the last year (for the better) with respect to how ACLs are generated
in Cygwin.  The best advice I can give is to just set them up properly now
and then forget about them, unless you have some specific examples of things
that don't work for you that you'd like to report to the list.  FWIW, I don't
have to fiddle with ACLs or any other kind of permissions to get and keep
things working for me.  YMMV.

Holliston, MA 01746