Re: df reports negative values on Network Shares

Carl Peto schrieb:
It gets better.

There is something quite wierd going on here.

I just wanted to upgrade cygwin1.dll so I downloaded cygwin-1.5.9-1.tar.bz2
from
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/release/cygwin/

I then went into cygwin (bash), changed to /cygdrive/c/cygwin (where I had
put the bzip2 file) and did a bunzip2 cygwin-1.5.9-1.tar.bz2

No problem, it ran fine and I was left with a cygwin-1.5.9-1.tar file in
c:\cygwin (or /cygdrive/c/cygwin depending on your view).

I figured that cygwin would not work too well if I used (cygwin) tar to
extract the files from within (cygwin) bash.

That's your problem! Don't figure too much and trust cygwin more than winzip, please.

So I closed the bash prompt (I'm now not running any programs compiled
against cygwin1.dll of any version) and then brought up c:\cygwin in a
Windows Explorer window.

Now it gets wierd...

Next I ran Winzip to extract the files from the tar.

It opened fine and showed me the list of files.  When I pressed the
"Extract" button it started to extract files and (as expected) asked me if
it was OK to overwrite existing files.  I said "yes" and off it went.  But,
guess what, after extracting about 15 files it hit a snag and reported "disk
full".

That's not weird, if you have only 37MB free on C!
Winzip as welll as other stupid filemanagers such as Total Commander and Windows Commander gunzip at first the tar to temp dir and then untar that tar which results in a "disk full error".

cygwin tar xfz doesn't need this and will work much better.

>> c: 1.0G -64Z 37M 101% /cygdrive/c

BTW: installing cygwin on 37MB left is not a good idea, esp. when it comes to tempspace for /tmp.
Same for Windows TEMP on C:
How about moving your programs from your 1GB C: partition to E: (19GB) and leave C: for your system alone?
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/