Re: co-linux

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:34:09 -0400, Sam Steingold wrote in
<uhdvmtnmm.fsf@gnu.org>:

>This is confusing.
>Unix is a class of OSes.
>Linux is an instance of that class.
>The syntax of your sentence implies that, when you say Unix, you mean
>an instance, not the class.  Which instance?  SCO UNIX?  AIX?  Solaris?
>HP-UX?  Apparently SCO (the others do not have `Unix' in the name).

Linux is not an instance of Unix, but rather a Unix-like kernel/OS
distribution, originally conceived as a clone of Minix with a decent
filesystem[1]. Nobody in his right mind would call Minix a Unix, would
it? It is a clone, plain and simple, in the same sense that QNX can
look and feel like plain vanilla Unix.

Now... Free/Open/NetBSD *are* Unix because the kernels in them share a
common origin in the BSD 4.4 Net tape, which itself originated as
modifications of ATT System 7 and System V source code licensed to UCB
(the history is far more convoluted, but you get the picture).

[1]

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/