RE: Gcc/ld and long command lines (> 32k)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

Hi Larry,

> Right.  I think that goes along with the notion that the '@' stuff is
> enabled for Cygwin processes invoked from non-Cygwin ones.  But perhaps
> I was unclear about what I was looking for.  Peter's response seemed to
> indicate that he tried *both* the suggested mount option and the '@file'
> option simultaneously.  It also wasn't clear whether he was using the
> '@file' option as invoked by a Windows process (perhaps even as a variant
> of Barry's example below) or whether he tried it from a Cygwin process
> (directly).  Ditto for the mount option.  I think Peter was trying to
> indicate that these options work but it's a little confusing given that
> Chris's previous statements say that '@file' should be a solution for
> Windows processes and the mount option should be a solution for Cygwin
> processes.  It's unclear whether Peter is confirming or refuting any
> part or parts of Chris' statement.  That's what I was hoping to get some
> clarification on.

I've already responded with a more clear explaination, but I felt
compelled to respond here as well.  I was making a mental leap in my
other email.  Johan's original email questioned about the "-X" mount
option possibly being useful, and Chris's email talked about @file being
only useable from a non-Cygwin invocation.  I tied the two together and
they worked.  This is what Johan had originally asked about (both -X and
@file), and, from that context, I was responding.  Sorry if it was a
little inarticulate by arrived at a conclusion without supplying my
work-sheet as proof :).  For Johan's configuration, this combination
should work for him.  I hadn't tried any other combinations because it
was uninteresting with respect to Johan's configuration.  If it didn't
work, I would have experimented further, but it did and I didn't :)

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>