Re: Definitely no sshd on FAT32?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
The following checks are performed on the key file in the following order:

- Not Windows NT? Yes -> Don't check permissions.

I'm running Windows 2000, so this shouldn't catch.

- "ntea" switched on? Yes -> Check permissions. (Not applicable on FAT32)

I don't have it set, and according to the docs it's off by default, and I'm on FAT32 anyway.

- statfs(key_file) fails? Yes -> Check permissions.

I'm not familiar with this one, but I found a man page for statfs on my linux server. Unless FAT32 is represented by some cryptic name in the following file types (MSDOS_SUPER_MAGIC perhaps?), I'm guessing statfs fails on FAT32?

File system types:

  ADFS_SUPER_MAGIC      0xadf5
  AFFS_SUPER_MAGIC      0xADFF
  BEFS_SUPER_MAGIC      0x42465331
  BFS_MAGIC             0x1BADFACE
  CIFS_MAGIC_NUMBER     0xFF534D42
  CODA_SUPER_MAGIC      0x73757245
  COH_SUPER_MAGIC       0x012FF7B7
  CRAMFS_MAGIC          0x28cd3d45
  DEVFS_SUPER_MAGIC     0x1373
  EFS_SUPER_MAGIC       0x00414A53
  EXT_SUPER_MAGIC       0x137D
  EXT2_OLD_SUPER_MAGIC  0xEF51
  EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC      0xEF53
  EXT3_SUPER_MAGIC      0xEF53
  HFS_SUPER_MAGIC       0x4244
  HPFS_SUPER_MAGIC      0xF995E849
  HUGETLBFS_MAGIC       0x958458f6
  ISOFS_SUPER_MAGIC     0x9660
  JFFS2_SUPER_MAGIC     0x72b6
  JFS_SUPER_MAGIC       0x3153464a
  MINIX_SUPER_MAGIC     0x137F /* orig. minix */
  MINIX_SUPER_MAGIC2    0x138F /* 30 char minix */
  MINIX2_SUPER_MAGIC    0x2468 /* minix V2 */
  MINIX2_SUPER_MAGIC2   0x2478 /* minix V2, 30 char names */
  MSDOS_SUPER_MAGIC     0x4d44
  NCP_SUPER_MAGIC       0x564c
  NFS_SUPER_MAGIC       0x6969
  NTFS_SB_MAGIC         0x5346544e
  OPENPROM_SUPER_MAGIC  0x9fa1
  PROC_SUPER_MAGIC      0x9fa0
  QNX4_SUPER_MAGIC      0x002f
  REISERFS_SUPER_MAGIC  0x52654973
  ROMFS_MAGIC           0x7275
  SMB_SUPER_MAGIC       0x517B
  SYSV2_SUPER_MAGIC     0x012FF7B6
  SYSV4_SUPER_MAGIC     0x012FF7B5
  TMPFS_MAGIC           0x01021994
  UDF_SUPER_MAGIC       0x15013346
  UFS_MAGIC             0x00011954
  USBDEVICE_SUPER_MAGIC 0x9fa2
  VXFS_SUPER_MAGIC      0xa501FCF5
  XENIX_SUPER_MAGIC     0x012FF7B4
  XFS_SUPER_MAGIC       0x58465342
  _XIAFS_SUPER_MAGIC    0x012FD16D

- Does the file system support ACLs?             (Shoud be only NTFS)
  Yes -> "ntsec" switched on ?
         Yes -> Check permissions

This shouldn't catch. I tried nontsec just in case, but no change.

- Don't check permissions

Well, we didn't get here. I tried passing 3 -d's to sshd, but the only added messages compared to what I posted originally were:

debug2: read_server_config: filename /etc/sshd_config
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.8p1

So no help there.

Try to figure out what happens on your system.  However, if you're
running 2K or XP, I don't see a reason to keep FAT32.  You can convert
it to NTFS using the "convert" tool which is shipped with all NT versions.

I lost a NTFS drive once to electrical failure, and I didn't have a current backup. It cost 5X as much to get the data recovered off the platters than if it had been FAT32. Of course it's my fault for not backing up regularly enough, but still. That and I'd have to trust that the conversion doesn't introduce any problems. Not a big deal, but if I don't have to do it I'd rather not.

Thanks,

Ian