Non-blocking keyboard I/O?

I have a non-blocking keyboard I/O routine I've used for years under IRIX,
Solaris and Red Hat linux.  It doesn't seem to work under cygwin, however.  The
core of it is:

   fcntl(0. F__SETFL, fcntl(0, F_GETFL) | O_NONBLOCK)
   tcgetattr(0, &termios_p);
   termios_p.c_lflag &= ~(ICANON | ECHO);
   termios_p.c_lflag &= ~(ICANON);
   termios_p.c_cc[VMIN] = 1;
   termios_p.c_cc[VTIME] = 0;
   tcsetattr(0, TCSANOW, &termios_p);

I subsituted FIONBIO for O_NONBLOCK and both complied and ran but both versions
still blocked.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?   Is there an alternative way to do
this under cygwin?  TIA!  Neall