RE: python and cygwin

Cygwin aims to do both.

It provides *nix tools running on Windows from a DLL implemented POSIX
environment.  Or something like that.

There are other places to get some of the GNU tools ported to Win32
without the cygwin1.dll requirement.  However, you do not get the full
benefits of a robust and maintained *nix-ish development environment.

So either cygwin meets your needs or it doesn't.

In your case, what cygwin provides might be overkill.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/overview.html
[quote]Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of a
DLL (cygwin1.dll), which acts as an emulation layer providing
substantial POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface) system call
functionality, and a collection of tools, which provide a Linux look and
feel. The Cygwin DLL works with all x86 versions of Windows since
Windows 95.[/quote]