RE: Plausibility of sendmail?

> But Exim provides a sendmail-compatible interface, and a
> symlink to /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Anything that expects to call
> sendmail from the command line should work fine with Exim,
> including all those perl modules.  Even if you are doing
> something obscure that absolutely requires sendmail, then you
> should still be able to develop and test the other 99% of the
> app on your laptop with Exim, without any actual sendmail.

That is great.  I didn't know that.  This will help.

Also, out of curiosity are the mails archived the same way as well?

> The notion of requiring a specific MTA boggles my mind.

I share the same opinion.  Trust me.  They also expect me to use their
notoriously outdated unmanaged hacked Linux system with outdated Perl 5
and outdated CGI.pm modules with outdated DBI modules. :'(  At one
college, it was only this quarter they discovered ssh and scp. :-(

What's sad is that my Sony Picturebook (12"x5" laptop) is more powerful
than the server.  But hey, I guess it'll put hair on my chest. :-)