Re: XEmacs 21.4.14 appears to prevent W32 processes from exiting

    Andre> I noticed when I am running the Cygwin packaged version of XEmacs,
    Andre> programs like Opera, IE, etc never quite exit when I quit them
    Andre> (i.e. all windows close but process is still show in task manager); I
    Andre> need to go into the task manager to explicitly kill them.  If I stop
    Andre> XEmacs, this does not happen.

    Andre> When I first saw the issue with Opera, I thought I had corrupted my
    Andre> Opera installation so I invoked the installer from IE.  After
    Andre> re-installation, Opera continued to not exit and I noticed that IE as
    Andre> well as the Opera installer were similarly still in the task manager.
    Andre> I exited XEmacs, killed the processes, and then restarted Opera and
    Andre> exited from the program.  There was no sign of the process in the task
    Andre> manager.  I repeated a couple of times with and without XEmacs running
    Andre> and found I could reliably recreate the scenario.

Hi Andre

I could duplicate this behaviour with Netscape and IE which are the only
W32 programs I'm running on a regular basis besides Far. But I haven't
noticed this behaviour because I usually boot W2K, than run XWin and XEmacs and
then startup Netscape. When shutting down I close XEmacs, shutdown XWin
and then shutdown the rest of the system. So I never noticed Netscape
hanging. By the way, Far (an Norton Commander clone) doesn't hang.

I'll upload a new version of XEmacs which fixes this problem and the
boring Warning message during startup about not finding it's obvious
root hirarchy tomorrow.

Ciao
  Volker