tar: Cannot hard link: No such file or directory

Hello,

tar gives the following error message trying to create hard-linked
files:

tar: usr/share/zoneinfo/right/Antarctica/McMurdo: Cannot hard link to
`usr/share/zoneinfo/right/Antarctica/McMurdo': No such file or directory

What is the problem?

I've found some discussions regarding hard links in the archive, but
don't see how to overcome this. I use cygwin 1.3.22, tar 1.13.25 on XP.

I've also tried to create the file first. Tar continued to complain, and
the file was deleted.

I would appreciate any clues.

Thanks in advance,
Baurjan.