Re: Non-trivial Cyrillic question

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Alexander Shopov wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I successfully downloaded and installed Cygwin on Windows 2000
> Professional. I want to display all cyrillic properly.
> I am a Bulgarian user - so I have a preference for Windows-CP1251 encoding.
> I did the usual meta magic in ~/.inputrc, and now I can input cyrillic
> letters properly in both bash(in command window) and rxvt (non X window
> version)
> So if I do
>
> cat myfile
>
> it is displayed correctly.
> However when I pipe it to less
>
> cat myfile | less
>
> it gets broken
> I get things like: <CF><D0><C5><CF><C8><D1><CA><C0>
> Same thing is when I do
>
> less myfile
>
> Furthermore
> I can touch a file with cyrillic filename
>
> touch ????.txt
>
> but when I do
>
> ls *
>
> it is displayed like
> ????.txt
>
> When I do tab completion under bash , the filename gets displayed correctly.
>
> My filesystem is NTFS.
> In my installation of cygwin nothing sets the LANG and LC environment
> variables.
>
> What should I do?
> I Searched the Internet, FAQs and docs but I get the imression that this
> question is still unanswered.
> I use the Lucida Console TrueType font.
>
> Best regards:
> al_shopov

In your ~/.bashrc:

alias less='/bin/less -r'
alias ls='/bin/ls -F --color=tty --show-control-chars'

Presumably, you can also export "LESS=r" instead of the first alias, but I
don't know how to set ls options via an environment variable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu