Re: recovering cygwin settings after a Win98 anomaly

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, jon wild wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/cygdrive"
> > mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin" "/"
> > mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
> > mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Please let the list know if this works for you.
>
> Igor - it worked perfectly, everything is back to normal. Thanks so much.
>
> After such a good first experience with this list I might be pushing it if
> I ask about another, much less important problem, but I'll try anyway
> since once again I can't find an answer in the FAQ:
>
> I'm running cygwin under win98 and every time I type the double-quote
> character in the cygwin shell, the very next character I type will cause a
> second double-quote to appear before the character typed, and I'll get a
> system beep. I am spared the beep if I type the same character a second
> time myself. This happens with a few other non-alphabetic characters as
> well (off the top of my head: single quote, backtick, tilde). I've learned
> to type these characters twice, followed by the backspace key to get rid
> of the one I didn't want, and this way I avoid the irritating beep, but I
> guess there is probably a better solution...
>
> Thanks again Igor --Jon Wild

Hmm, does this also happen in 'sh' and 'tcsh', or is this bash-specific?
If the latter, I'd suspect something screwed up with your readline
bindings (e.g., ~/.inputrc, or just look at the output of "bind -S" and
"bind -P" in bash).  For more information, see "info readline".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu