bug in cygwin build of Make

I have discovered a problem in cygwin's Make.

I am calling a sub-make that goes to another directory. That bit works fine, but the Makefiles have a variable set from a shell command. That shell seems to be spawned from the wrong directory. I have created a small example illustrating the problem

dir2/Makefile: --------------- VARIABLE = $(shell echo $$PWD)

target :
   ${MAKE} -C ../dir1 sources
   @echo VARIABLE set to ${VARIABLE}

dir1/Makefile: -------------- VARIABLE = $(shell echo $$PWD)

sources :
   @echo VARIABLE set to ${VARIABLE}

Then, from dir2 run "make target" and I get the following output:

make -C ../dir1 sources
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Make/dir1'
VARIABLE set to /tmp/Make/dir2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Make/dir1'
VARIABLE set to /tmp/Make/dir2

You see that the sub-make's VARIABLE is set to "/tmp/Make/dir2" not "/tmp/Make/dir1". Running the same thing from Linux gets the result I expected.

(Example and cycheck output are atatched)

Jason