RE: Third-party products that include Cygwin

At 02:26 PM 12/14/2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen you wrote:
> [...]

I guess I could also suffer from this as I currently work at a client that
seems pretty intent on enforcing the use of Outlook (not sure why but
whatever).  Since clients come and go, I wouldn't want to use'em for my
access to this list anyway so I simply keep my home machine up all the
time and ssh/VNC to it.  From this, I can use my work and/or personal email
accounts and the tools that work for me best.  Perhaps that's another option
for you.  Otherwise, you're stuck at the mercy of Outlook and the charity
of those on this list that might remember what your preferences are.  I've
done so this time.  Can't say that I'll remember to do so next time. :-(

>> > Thanks for not pushing it, this seems to be yet another time when I'm
>> >wrong - at least to some extent.
>>
>> Well, no one knows everything. :-)
>
> I've also noted: The more you learn, the more you know that you don't know.
>(Is that correct/good English? Feels bad to me in some way).

It's fine by today's standards. ;-)

>> > Might I ask where this functionality of setup is documented?
>> >Not /u/s/d/cygwin-doc-1.3/html/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html as it seems.
>> >
>> >And please:
>> > source is *not* documentation, independently of how readable it is.
>>
>> Sorry, no.  Not every piece of functionality is documented for Cygwin and
>> its setup program.  It has been discussed many times on the cygwin-apps
>> list.  Here's one message that lists out at least some command
>> line options:
>>
>> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html>
>>
>> So the email archives is the only place I know of that has this
>> information at this point,
>
> All right, that explains my ignorance. I read this list only, nothing else
>WRT cygwin (except docs).

Yeah, cygwin-apps is the main discussion list for setup.  If you're
interested in that topic, subscribe there.

>> unless someone wants to look at the source (which you stated you did not).
>
> I have no problem reading source, but using it as *user* documentation
>is "a long shot" IMO.

Oh of course that's true!

> I consider myself a very knowledgable computer user and programmer (under
>the right conditions), but a newbie user in the cygwin/POSIX world.
>
>> If you're interested,
>> I'm sure Rob, Max, and  others actively involved in the
>> development of setup would consider any patch you
>> might want to generate that moves this documentation into a more
>> obvious/official spot.
>
> =-) well, I should have expected that...
>That's a long version of "PTC" ;-D

Quite true.  "A rose by any other name..." ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746