still cannot read /cygdrive/c

I am having the same problem. Please also see:

$ mount
E:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type system
(binmode)
E:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
E:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
E:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
e: on /cygdrive/e type user (binmode,noumount)
g: on /cygdrive/g type user (binmode,noumount)

and I do NOT have a /cygdrive directory

I am using XP Professional and I have tried all the things Gareth had
suggested(mkpasswd/mkgroup sync; windows sharing tab etc) but am still not
able to change the permissions on those two root directories despite being
the administrator. I even tried logging in the "Administrator" account,
same problem. I am on the 1116 snapshot

-rwx------+   1 jakez    None      1081698 Nov 16 03:23 cygwin1.dll

$ ls -dl /cygdrive/c /cygdrive/e /cygdrive/g
d---------   12 ???????? ????????        0 Dec  8 07:49 /cygdrive/c/
dr-xr-xr-x+  35 jakez    None            0 Dec  8 07:36 /cygdrive/e/
d---------    8 ???????? ????????        0 Nov 23 14:12 /cygdrive/g/

Note it is interesting because E is the drive where the cygwin
distribution is installed. This appears to be affecting only cygwin
both windows explorer and cmd.exe works fine.

Please help. Thanks.

jake