Is HOME directory broken?

Hi,

There seems to be some odd behavior with the HOME directory.  The
default profile scripts are suppose to initially set this directory up,
but they seem to be failing.  I tried this on several different systems
(Windows 2000 and Windows XP), but I run into problems.  I then created
a HOME environment variable in the cygwin.bat file, but this did not
work.  It one case, doing a cd $HOME only goes to the root of the C:
drive, even when a C:\CYGWIN\HOME exists or doesn't exist.

What's going on?  How do I get a functional home directory system
working?

 - Joaquin

PS - I did not find adequate info on this in the FAQ, nor in any
documentation files.